Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chicken with Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. ~ Lao-Tzu

Something I've learned:
There is a story I was told a few years back that I just love.  It is the story of a man who, upon encountering a guru sitting at a fork in the road, asks:“Which way is success?” The stoic sage points down the path to his left. The man, thrilled at the prospect of easy success, rushes off in the appropriate direction. From the distance comes a loud SPLAT! The man reappears. He is bruised and tattered. Again he asks the guru, “Which way is success?” Once again the wise man says nothing. He simply points down the path to his left. The man quickly races down the path a second time. From the distance comes a much louder SPLAT! The man returns crawling on his hands and knees. He is bloody and beaten. He yells at the guru, “Twice I have asked you about the path to success. Both times I followed your directions and both times all I have gotten is splatted!” He screams at the top of his lungs, “No more pointing, talk to me!” The wise man calmly replies, “Success is that way. It is just a little past SPLAT.”

That lesson has probably been one of the hardest for me to learn.  I've always been a bit of a control freak, not in the sense that I want to control other people, but definitely in trying to control the situation.  I'm a planner, I pay attention to details...it's what makes me good at my job as a Project Manager.  So, to just let go, let things unfold as they will, move past "splat" is not something that comes naturally to me.  But, I work on it all the time.  And, time and time again, I am shown that success, happiness and peace are, in fact, just a little past splat.    

Something I've cooked:
Since beginning this little adventure, I have been looking through some of my old cookbooks and pulling out recipes that are not only on the pages but tucked between.  I came across this one last week and have been craving it ever since.  This was one of the first dishes I learned to make when I started cooking and, if you ask me, it's as good today as it was then.  This sauce is also great with pasta!

Chicken with Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tbs butter, divided
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 shallots, chopped (use a small onion if you don't have shallots on hand)
salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup whipping or heavy cream
2 tbs loosely packed fresh basil leaves, cut into strips

Season chicken with salt and ground black pepper.  In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat and cook chicken 8 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.  Remove chicken from pan and set aside. (I usually put it on a dinner plate and place another one upside down on top of it to keep chicken from drying out). 

In the  same skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and cook tomatoes and shallots, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Stir in wine and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes or until wine evaporates. Stir in cream. Reduce heat to low and return chicken to skillet. Simmer uncovered 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened and chicken is heated through. Garnish with basil.


1 comment: