How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job! ~ Scotty, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Taking a night off from cooking so we can finish up some of the leftovers from the week, so I thought it might be a good opportunity to talk about some of my favorite, and in my book essential, kitchen tools. First of all, let me just say that I am a recovering kitchen gadget addict. There was a time when, even though I very seldom ever cooked, I had drawers full of tools…for pitting and grinding and squeezing and flattening. I was Pampered Chef ’s dream come true. And, then I learned to cook, and I realized that you really only need to invest in a couple of good, simple tools and you’re all set. So, my kitchen drawers are now gadget free, which gives me more room for elastic bands and string and old keys and loose change.
Taking a night off from cooking so we can finish up some of the leftovers from the week, so I thought it might be a good opportunity to talk about some of my favorite, and in my book essential, kitchen tools. First of all, let me just say that I am a recovering kitchen gadget addict. There was a time when, even though I very seldom ever cooked, I had drawers full of tools…for pitting and grinding and squeezing and flattening. I was Pampered Chef ’s dream come true. And, then I learned to cook, and I realized that you really only need to invest in a couple of good, simple tools and you’re all set. So, my kitchen drawers are now gadget free, which gives me more room for elastic bands and string and old keys and loose change.
So, if the house was burning down and I could only grab a few things before fleeing, here’s what I’d take. I’d grab my…
Furi 8" Coppertail Kitchen Knife
If $125 seems like a lot to spend on a good knife, I’m here to tell you it was worth every penny. Of course, mine was a gift (Thanks, B!) but if I had spent the money, it would totally be worth it. I use my knife for everything…including chopping fresh herbs and mincing garlic. I’m not even sure I still have a garlic press. A good knife is a great investment but do your research. Make sure, if you’re going to spend the money, you get one that feels right in your hands and is well balanced. Stay away from a serrated edge for an everyday knife as it will end up tearing your food rather than slicing it. And, if you’re going to shell out $100 plus on a knife, either get a good sharpening set (with the clips and oil) or have it professionally sharpened. And, never put your knife in the dishwasher. Wash it by hand, with love.Not only is Bamboo kinder to your knife, it is ecologically friendlier too. Bamboo is a fast growing grass so you’re not killing trees with this one. And, bamboo is harder than most woods so it makes an ideal cutting surface; no more boards marred by nicks and cuts. Bamboo also resists moisture so your boards won’t swell or warp. I never put mine in the dishwasher, though. Again, just soap and love. Occasionally, maybe a couple of times a year, wipe the surface with mineral oil to preserve the beauty and life of your board. And listen, you don’t have to go to Williams & Sonoma to get one either. You can get them at Homegoods or Target or even Wal-Mart and pay a whole lot less. One thing I should note, I do not use my bamboo boards when I clean or cut chicken. I use a plastic or glass board and kitchen shears. I just can’t bring myself to use the same surface to cut up vegetables or herbs and raw chicken.
Tongs
I used to reach for a spatula or fork. Now I reach for one of my sets of tongs. I use them for just about everything, including tossing pasta, flipping meat, breading chicken and grabbing a casserole dish and pulling it to the edge of the oven rack. Get one pair with heat resistant, Teflon friendly tips and one with metal tips. Once you start using tongs, you’ll find yourself reaching for them time and time again. This is great for zesting lemons or limes, grating a small amount of cheese or grinding fresh ginger. I also use it to grate garlic directly over whatever I’m cooking. It’s easier than chopping and you’re not leaving half the clove behind in a press. However, and I cannot stress this enough, take your time and be careful…especially when doing garlic. If you’re not watching what you’re doing you could very easily end up with the first few layers of your finger in the pot. It would be hard to tell the difference between this as a kitchen tool and this as an implement of torture.
I originally picked one up because I thought it looked cool, having no idea how handy it would be. I use olive oil all the time and it’s so nice to not have to reach into the cupboard, search around for the oil and open the bottle before using it. I keep it on the counter next to the stove and it’s there when I need it…easy, one-handed operation. Fill it when you need to using a small kitchen funnel (unless you have a steadier hand than I do) and when you do, pull the drizzle cap out and wash it by hand. That will keep the bottle clean and the nozzle clog free.



No comments:
Post a Comment