Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Penne a la Vodka

Wouldn't life be great if we lived a little of it everyday? ~ Anonymous

Sometimes, the old adage holds true...there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. Sometimes, it adds up to the exact same thing.  I have been single since November of last year and, although it was a drama filled, unhealthy relationship that I'm glad is in the rear view mirror, sometimes it sucks being alone.  And, ya...sometimes I get lonely.  Every once in a while, it gets to me and I have to work a bit to shake it off.  I have to remind myself that life is ebb and flow and it is only resistance to what is that causes unrest. I do my best to live in the now, be present in the moment and trust that all is as it should be.  Right now, I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be with the right people and the right circumstances.

And, I never feel lonely when I cook! In fact, it's just the opposite. I'm content, relaxed and invigorated when I'm in the kitchen.  Sure, I love to cook for other people, but even if I am preparing a meal just for me, as long as I'm cooking, I'm happy.  There is something very satisfying about taking a bunch of simple, disparate ingredients and bringing them together to create something fragrant and tasty and wonderful.  It's not only that, though.  For me, cooking is one of the ways I say, "I love you".  So, if I cook for you, it's because you're important to me.  And, when I cook for myself it's an expression of self love.  It's me looking after me, and what could be wrong with that? :)

Penne a la Vodka
1 tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tbs butter
2 shallots, minced
1 c vodka
1 c chicken stock
1 can crushed tomatoes (32 oz)
coarse salt & pepper, to taste
16 oz pasta, such as penne rigate
1/2 c heavy cream
20 or so leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn

Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add oil, butter, garlic and shallots.  Gently saute shallots for 3-5 minutes to develop their sweetness.  To avoid it flaming up, remove pan from heat for a minute while you add the vodka.  Return pan to stove top, stir and cook 3 or 4 minutes to reduce vodka by half.  Add chicken stock and tomatoes.  Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to simmer.  Season with salt and pepper.

While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions.  When the pasta has a few minutes left to cook, stir the cream and basil into the sauce.  When the sauce returns to a bubble, remove it from the heat and toss it with the hot, drained pasta.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment