When there is a start to be made, don't start over. Start where you are. ~ Edgar Cayce
A few years ago, when I learned to cook, it was very much to the shock and awe of my friends and family. I grew up in the 70’s, a typical child being coaxed away from the TV just long enough to scarf down a meal before The Brady Bunch started. The food was there. How it got there was of no concern to me. When I got married, we ate in restaurants. If we cooked, it was on the grill; again, not my domain. Cooking did not appeal to me and it looked as though nothing was going to change that. And, then I saw an episode of ’30 Minute Meals” with Rachel Ray and I thought, I can do that. It literally changed my life; well, that and the constant guidance and support (and now friendly competition) from Brandon, one of my closest friends and a fantastic cook. He has, in fact, uncovered a couple of foodie diamonds-in-the-rough among his unsuspecting friends. Let him cook for you, watch how easy he makes it seem, you’ll be hooked.
Today, there’s nothing I won’t take on. If I can find it, I’ll cook it. And, one of my favorite things to work with is puff pastry. Yup, you heard correctly. It’s not nearly as difficult as you might imagine and, I’m telling you, wrap anything in puff pastry and you’ll look like a rockstar! For first timers, take a few minutes to check out these video tips first.
Love Birds
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-3 sprigs rosemary, fresh & finely chopped
1 tbs olive oil
salt & pepper (to taste)
1 sheet puff pastry 11x17 (thawed as per package instructions)
8 slices Italian Fontina cheese (1/4 - 1/2" thick)
1/2 cup fig preserves
1 egg mixed with 1 tbs water, for an egg wash
Preheat oven to 400
Cut each piece of chicken in half, across the breast, giving you 8 equal portions. Season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and lightly brown chicken on both sides, 5 or 6 minutes total. Remove from heat.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. When I haven't had parchment on hand, I've sprayed the pan with non-stick cooking spray and it's worked fine. Cut the pastry into 8 equal pieces. Place a piece of cheese on each pastry square and top with a spoonful of fig preserves and a chicken piece. Pinch and seal the dough up and over the meat and cheese, forming little packets. Use the egg wash to help seal the edges. Flip chicken packets seam side down onto baking sheet and brush the tops with remaining egg wash. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: Don't be afraid to experiment with Brie or Gruyere if you find Fontina to be too mild. And, to up the wow factor, use left over bits of dough to decorate the love birds before baking!

Check out the mushroom gravy as a topping on this one too...mmmmm....gravy....
ReplyDeleteI love that you guys are enjoying these recipes, Joe. It's motivation to keep 'em coming! Oh, and by the way, if you love mushrooms like I do, stay tuned...I have a cheesy mushroom dip that I want to try that, I think, is going to be killer!
ReplyDelete